Strictly Christmas Quiz
1. What traditional Christmas decoration is actually a parasitic plant?
2. What is said to be the Number One Christmas song of all time and who first sang it?
3. Which of Santa’s reindeer shares its name with a god of love?
4. Charles Dickens: in “A Christmas Carol” what was Tiny Tim’s surname?
5. It sounds as though this famous playwright was terrified of Christmas. Who was he?
6. Who was the first British monarch to broadcast a Christmas message to the nation?
7. Which Christmas pudding has a totally misleading name because it’s not among the contents in the recipe?
8. What’s the English translation of “Adeste Fidelis”?
9. Which English leader prohibited the singing of Christmas songs?
10. The names of a number of Santa’s reindeer end with the letters ER. What are they?
11. Christmas Island in the Indian Ocean is a territory of which country?
12. Which slogan was introduced by Clarissa Baldwin of Dogs Trust in 1978?
13. What’s the exact five-word title of the popular poem alternatively known as “A Visit from St. Nicholas”?
14. Which classic 1947 Christmas film is set in New York?
15. In the film “It’s a Wonderful Life” what happens every time a bell rings?
16. What is the German title of the carol “Silent Night”?
17. Which of the Wise Men brought the gift of gold to the baby Jesus?
18. In Charles Dicken’s “A Christmas Carol” there were four ghosts: Christmas Past, Christmas Present and Christmas Yet to Come. Who or what was the fourth ghost?
19. In 1949 which unlikely person was the first to record “Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer”? Clue: he was a film star cowboy.
20. Which plant has bright red and green leaves and is sometimes known as the Christmas Flower?